I know this is an MVP forum but thought you guys may want to see a pet project we have been working on in our spare time. Someone had brought an old Mauser 98 into our shop 5-6 years ago. Wanted to do something with it. After several discussions about what to do, they decided to go another route and left this relic here. Digging through some old boxes of stuff, I ran across it. The owner said you can have it. So begins the journey of making a 1944 $50 98 into a world class bench rest rifle. Here is the parts after I tossed the barrel in the scrap bin: There was some ugliness at the front of the action that needed some attention as well I got the action in the lathe and cut the face square and cleaned up the internal threads. No cutting was done on the internal lugs to preserve the hardening. These old Mausers can be hit and miss with bolt lug to internal lug contact. This one had enough contact for us to continue. All we needed to do was a minor lapping of the lugs. Had it been too far out, we would have scraped it. We are adding a second, oversized recoil lug to move the fulcrum point farther out from the face of the action as the Mauser thread isn't very long but also to give us a larger recoil lug surface area. Here is the lug in the lathe opening up the inside diameter to fit the Mauser tennon size. We had a 6mm Bartlein S.S. 1:8 match grade barrel from a previous 6mmBR rebarrel project. The barrel had only 100 rounds through it. We cut the old chamber off to start fresh. Here the tennon is cut to size, then the additional recoil lug fitted. And chamber is cut. This chambering is 6X47 Lapua. You can see the bolt lugs after light lapping have perfect contact. Trial fitment. The barrel is a 1.250 straight contour. We drilled and tapped the action for a 20 MOA scope rail. Even thought bench rest guys don't like tactical knobs, we do, so it got one. At this point, the rifle is fully machined, ready to run. We lightened the cocking piece, installed a speed lock firing pin and spring, filed the extractor to ease the CRF and polished the cocking ramp. Here it has a sharp square edge for great release and it has a great lock time as well. That pic was after the Cerakote. Back to the rifle, it was all set and ready to proof fire before we started making it purdy. Out at the range in a junk stock it was shooting .25 MOA out of the gate. Paint pics next.